1. You eat rice and curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner
2. You get it on to Baila music.
3. Your idea of a bathing suit is a conspicuous see-thru sarong around your chest.
4. You refer to friends by calling them "Machan" instead of "dude"
5. You eat string hoppers ,coconut milk and a three- course curry meal for breakfast
6. When Arrack is better then any French champagne
7. You use Siddahelpe, gripe water and Panadol to solve your medical problems
8. You have a Singer sewing machine at home.
9. You call an older person you've never met before uncle or "aunty"
10. EVERYONE is a family friend.
11. You use Kist or Maggi chilli sauce instead of tomato ketchup.
12. You're walking out of customs with your trolley at the airport and you see all twenty-five members of your family who have come to pick you up.
13. No one ever seems to call ahead of time to say they are coming over for a visit.
14. At a function or party your parents say that their leaving, but often take another hour saying goodbye at the door.
15. Whenever something sad happens to anyone or any animal for that matter you automatically say "aney pouuuuuu..."
16. When something gross happens or talking about anything thats disgusting,bad,etc. you say "Chi Chi Chi...".
17. You salt and pepper your mangoes, and every other fruit you eat
18. You go to a restaurant and ask for Fanta, Portello or a chocolate SMAK instead of a Pepsi or Coke
19. Your Parents aren't afraid to chase you down the street and slap you if you talk back...
20. You grew up on Marmite and Glucose powder...and often faked a stomach ache so that you could drink Gripe water.
21. When you visit your Sri Lankan aunties, they always serve you a plate of lemon puffs and Tang before anything else.
22. When you'd "tap that Toddy" just to get that nice taste.
23. When every Lankan girl that you meet is the daughter of the auntie whose grandfather is the cousin of the father of your uncle who is the brother of your dad!
24. When to your parents
a) Scotch tape is 'sello tape',
Washing Powder is 'Rinso'
c) toothpaste is 'signal'
d) soap is "lux or rexona'
e) MSG's are "Aji-no-moto'
f) and binoculars are "binaCLOSE'
g) any cellphone is reffered to as 'Cell Tell'
25.)When you know the words to the very annoying 'Surangani' and "Ojaye, Ojaye" songs...(NOTE: and now that you have been reminded, these songs automatically start playing in your head)
26. When despite the fact that you have eaten a full three course meal prior to visiting your "auntie", refusing to eat another three course meal in the same evening may result in dire consequences.
27. You get invited to dinner at an "uncles" house for 7:00pm; You get there at 8:30 and dinner is served at 11:58 pm; The arrack induced fathers start singing at 1:00 am while the mothers start making idle chit chat about the "old days in Sri Lanka"...By 3:00am your "auntie" forces you to drink coffee so that you can get a good nights sleep when you get home at 6:00 AM.
28. When you've spend at least one afternoon wrapping your school textbooks with "brown paper" so that they don't get damaged!
29. When you know that Odel/house of Fashion and No Limit are the best places to do an entire decade worth of shopping!
30. When you know that Thambili is not only a fruit, but a color, a cure for diarrhea and a way to solve hangover-related issues!
31. When you see aunties/uncles you haven't seen in a long time they give you the Sri Lankan"sniff kiss" where by:
a.They bring their cheek up to your cheek
b. The sniff
c. Switch cheeks and repeat.
32. When your version of cookies and milk equals to"Marie biscuits" and Pure Ceylon Tea.
33. When you know that "short eats" are nothing short of delicious, fattening and extremely addictive...
34. When "roast paan" is always chosen over "naan bread".
35. When everything is dipped in "plain tea" or eaten with coconut sambol
36. When finding large chunks of juggry in your "tala guli" is always a welcome surprise.
37. When Bombai Mutai" is better than any cotton candy.
38. When you smile after reading this whole list.
39. When you still continue to smile
40. When you think how happy and how proud you to be a Sri Lankan.